Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thank Goodness for Insurance?

Monday night, jammies are on and shortly it will be bed time.
Ezra cuts his left middle finger.
Lots of blood.
Inside "meat" is exposed. (thats what they called it while at Urgent Care. Yeah, real professional)
We bandage it and decide it's pretty bad we need to take him to said urgent care. They close in about 20 minutes.
We make it 5 minutes before closing time. We get told he needs to go to the emergency room at the hospital. Ben thinks they were brushing us off because they wanted to go home sooner than later.
We wait at the ER waiting room for almost 3 hours.
Come midnight thirty the nurse cleans the wound, adds a numbing cream, dressing, and gets the finger bandaged, pretty much the same way I bandaged it at home.
We get a couple extra of the above and are told we should change it daily.
We get discharged.


No X-rays, no stitches, no cast...


Our bill is over $2600.


Yeah, we've got insurance, but we still have to pay close to $500 out of pocket.


For pretty much a bandaid.


Awesome.

2 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh Sharline! That stinks!

Hey, thanks for your very kind comment on my blog. I'm pretty sure you've got lots of great things to say and add to the conversation over at my blog...please keep commenting. Believe it or not, I need to know someone is listening...every now and then! :) Your comment really made me feel good this morning! THANK YOU!

Ivonne said...

That's outrageous Sharline! I could go on and on, but I will spare you my indignation as I had a bad experience this weekend at my doctor's office as well. Enough is enough.