Monday, August 25, 2008

Christmas Shopping

Many of my family and friends know that I love to save money. I love to find bargains and I love to have stock ups of things that I have found on sale or on clearance. I am not ashamed and in fact, I am very proud of my skills. I try to hold off the urge to buy things full price. I search for coupons and sales and I always check the clearance sections at my favorite stores when I go shopping. You never know what kind of bargains you will find!

Today we bought Ben some much needed shorts that were on clearance for $5. Yes, I know we just bought another pair for $3 at another store, but this pair was a better brand, and therefore, more expensive. But now Ben has a new nice pair and another new nicer pair.

Anyway, I could go on and on about all the deals I've gotten this month, but that's another post.

I have already started my Christmas shopping. In fact, I started it about 2 months ago. I want to be prepared for the holiday season. I like to look for sales and find good gifts that won't break the bank. I already have a gift each for my nephews Sam and Drew out of our family gift exchange and I also have a gift for my dad, and my brother in law Paul. I also have a small gift each for my son Ben and soon to arrive son Ezra.

The gifts I've gotten are worth double or more what I paid for them. I also think about birthdays in advance and things to use the next year's season.

For example, we already have an awesome selection of Christmas wrapping paper and decorations for the tree and home, all of which I paid only about 20% of what the original price was. I also have a ton of really cool and spooky Halloween decorations that I got last year at only 10% of what the original price was. I have "ingredients" for Easter baskets for when Benny is a little older that I also bought when the price was 90% off. I have Halloween costumes for Benny for the next 2 or 3 years, all of which again, I only paid about 20% of the original price.

I get a thrill when I find such good deals like that!! That is why I like to start my Christmas shopping now. By the time November and December rolls around I've already been done for a while on my holiday shopping. I then can purchase things on sale for myself, IF I feel like it and I don't feel pressured to buy things full price. I bought my dad a $20 shirt for this year's Christmas and I only paid $3 for it. Yes folks, $3! What a steal!

I also keep things in stock. I have a storage bin full of cards. I've gotten $4 or $5 packs of cards for only 50 cents. I refuse to pay more than $1 for packs of cards. That's my rule. I keep wrapping paper stocked up and I also keep little knick-knacks and bottles of this or that for emergency gifts, such as birthday parties that I don't want to show up empty handed, or white elephant gifts at church things, or even if I just want to brighten my visiting teachees' day. All on sale, or clearance, or really cheap with a coupon, or even free.

I hope that I can teach these skills to my children! It really pays off to plan ahead and be organized. You can save a lot of money and still give really good gifts that are within your budget!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a good example. This skill of saving money has spread to us a lot, thanks to some of the tips you've shared with Kelly over the past several months. We continue to work towards streamlining our budgets in these tight times.

Kelly said...

Ed said it, you have taught me! And there is a sense of pride when you get something free, or close to it. I love it! Like last night I went to the grocery store and only paid 50 cents for three ears of corn. And a canister of cocktail peanuts for .75 cents (regular price $3.75). Oh and I can't forget to tell you about our cereal purchase last week. Giant(the grocery store near us) was having a sale on select cereals for 4 for $6. Well...I happened to have coupons for all those cereals. So we ended up paying only about .78 cents per box. When regular price is close to $3 per box. It was great! You just got to love it! THANKS!!! We sure do love you guys!

Unknown said...

Yeah!! That totally rocks!!!